At Long Lane we aim:
- to provide high quality physical education for all children, delivered by members of staff, who are committed to engaging pupils and developing their skills in this area of the curriculum.
- to provide all children with the opportunity to engage in competitive sporting activities, both within our school and the wider community.
- to have a positive impact on children’s physical development, all-round health and confidence, while fostering a love of physical activity, which they will carry forward as they move through life
To make this happen, we have identified three key strands to develop within our school:
1. Enhancing the quality of PE lessons
2. Developing school sport opportunities
3. Promoting a healthy, active lifestyle.
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives
We follow the national curriculum to deliver a high-quality experience that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. The curriculum provides opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
PE, Sport and Physical Activity is planned and delivered so that we meet our aims as outlined above. Units of work and lessons are planned and delivered using a range of resources including the Power of PE Scheme of Work (Outcomes), Teach Active lessons (Active Maths and English) and our own planning using the National Curriculum and Chris Quigley Skills Curriculum (Milestones). Particular units of work including dance and gymnastics may also have cross curricular links to topics studied by year group(s). In addition, specialist coaches are employed to support teachers to deliver particular areas of the curriculum where appropriate.
Follow the link to see how we have been using the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding to meet our aims for PE, Sport and Physical Activity at Long Lane.